Oct 30, 2011

Vienna

July 2 - 4

Brian had to go to Riyadh right after we got back from Andrew and Kate's wedding, so I planned a girls' weekend in Vienna, Austria over 4th of July weekend. My friend, Kim, and I flew to Vienna for a weekend of sightseeing and shopping! Instead of giving a play-by-play of the weekend, I'm just going to comment on the pics and talk about our weekend that way.

Vienna is a beautiful city with buildings like this. The architecture reminded me of Paris.

Apparently "Melange" is a famous coffee drink in Vienna, so we gave it a whirl! It tastes exactly like a cappuccino because it has the exact same ingredients as a cappuccino. I just looked up the difference between Melange and Cappuccino, and supposedly the difference is in trivial things like toppings (which vary depending on the cafe you're at), cups they're served in, "strength of the coffee", etc. Another person said that Melange can be served anytime of day. I don't know, they seem the exact same to me : )

The Rathaus (City Hall)

St. Charles Church - A less-traditional looking church we found. Cool reflection pool!

Inside the church pictured above. I liked how bright it was inside!

Beautiful gardens! It was quite cold while we were in Vienna (the coldest 4th of July weekend I hope I ever experience - I didn't like that very much), so it was nice to see some summery flowers.


Botanical gardens and shelter from the rain and cold for a little while : )

We went to Schloss (Castle) Schoenbrunn to learn a little about Vienna's history. It was also another indoor activity where we wouldn't freeze!
Gardens behind Schoenbrunn where Empress Elisabeth would exercise - that would be a nice backyard!
Paths in the gardens behind Schloss Schoenbrunn

Vienna plays operas and movies at the Rathaus plaza throughout the summer. It was a lot of fun because a lot of local restaurants had booths set up with all kinds of food and drinks! Here's a picture of the summer film festival.

St. Stephen's church was quite impressive! I loved the roof, which had the Austrian eagle and other elaborate patterns on it.
Inside St. Stephen's
A children's choir singing in St. Stephen's
Another view of St. Stephen's

We found this all-natural ice cream shop that had a line out the door, so we had to try some!

Vienna also had fun shops! We found a vintage dress store that had remade dresses from the 60s and 70s - SO adorable. They also had a Forever 21, which I was very excited about :)

Despite the weather, Vienna was a fun city to visit!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures - love the plaid cow in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the reflection pool! What a fun girls' weekend.

    ReplyDelete