Apr 30, 2010

Keukenhof Gardens, Holland

While Brian was golfing in Scotland, the flowers in Holland were in full bloom. I asked around my office to see if anyone wanted to go with me to check out the gardens, and I had two takers, our friends John and Lewis.

On Saturday morning, we got an early start on the road (7:30 on a Saturday is really early for me!). It was supposed to only take around 4 hours to get there, but the last few miles took 1.5 hours because of the traffic! Apparently "peak" weekend at the Keukenhof gardens is a popular time to go!

Excited to see the flowers!

As we slowly drove in, it smelled so good outside! It was so cool to see rows and rows of gorgeous flowers.


Gorgeous flowers and a Dutch windmill in the distance - cheesy, I know, but I loved it!

Once we parked the car and made our way into the garden, I was really impressed by all of the colors and how perfect each flower was!


I've never studied flowers or had a garden of my own, so I don't know a lot about them, but there were so many flowers in this garden that I had never seen or heard of!

These tall yellow ones reminded me of something from Dr. Seuss

I loved the multi-colored tulips


After walking around for awhile, we decided it was time for a beer and waffle break. This waffle was one of the yummiest waffles I've ever had! It had sugar crystals partly melted on it, so it was sweet and dense.


Continuing the tour...

We found the windmill!

Group shot from the top of the windmill

There were also indoor gardens, and my favorite was the orchid garden.

I loved how these looked with their roots exposed

Brian has always said he liked orchids, but I've never found one that I really wanted to own. At this garden, though, I found one that's an off-white color, which I loved. It's really neutral but exotic looking - perfect for our apartment! I bought it to surprise Brian - it looks great in our living area!

I still need to find a pot that I like for it, but I like how it looks here!

After a full day of flowers, we headed back to Frankfurt. It was a really fun day trip!

1 comment:

  1. Those flowers are gorgeous! I would have enjoyed that trip too. :)

    ReplyDelete