Sep 8, 2010

Jamie Cullum Concert in Bochum

Brian took me on a motorcycle ride to Bochum, Germany to see Jamie Cullum in concert! He is one of my most favorite artists, and I was so excited to see him live! We left Frankfurt on Saturday morning, and it was a beautiful day for a motorcycle ride! On the drive to Bochum, we saw a few lakes that were so peaceful. Here's the view we had while eating lunch!


When we arrived in Bochum, we relaxed at our hotel for a bit and then began our journey to the Zelt (Tent) Festival on the lake where the concert would be held later that night. On our walk, we enjoyed some quaint sites in the small city.



The Zelt Festival was a little smaller than we expected it to be, but it was still a nice set up. Plenty of food and beer to enjoy, and the bright sunshine was an added bonus!


We enjoyed a hearty dinner of festival foods and listened to Jaimi Faulkner (a different Jaimi with a very different style of music) play guitar. I had never heard of him, but he was a great performer with a chill sound. The evening was already going great, and we still had the concert to look forward to! After Jaimi was finished playing, I bought his CD and got his autograph - maybe he'll be big someday soon!

Then it was time for the concert! Yay! First things first, we got some beers to keep us cool, because the tent where the concert was going to be held was H-O-T! And there was only 1 beer stand (SO weird compared to U.S. concerts), so of course we got two beers each :)


The concert was amazing! Watch the video at this link to really get a feel for the energy that Jamie Cullum emits at his concerts. It was SO impressive! That video makes me wish I could see him again. He's such a great musician, and he had a really talented band playing with him. I was totally expecting a chill jazz concert, but he had the crowd jumping up and down and singing along, and he would even jump up on his grand piano!


And I loved the mix of songs he chose. He had a great balance of new and old songs. And he even played the coolest version I've ever heard of "I Get a Kick Out of You" - it was just him and the bassist.

At the beginning of the concert, Brian told me that I could get on his shoulders for one song so that I could have a perfect view of the stage. I could see pretty well throughout the whole concert, especially considering we were standing amongst a ton of tall Germans! But to see it all from Brian's 6'5" perspective would be awesome - so I needed to choose my song wisely! I chose "These are the Days". I LOVE that song, and it reminds me of my last semester at A&M when Brian and I were dating. Such good memories :)


Here's a video of a more chill song that he played. I like this video because you can hear his voice and his band - our other videos were mostly the crowd singing along!



After the concert, the festival was aglow with white lights, so it looked gorgeous.


On Sunday, we enjoyed a leisurely morning in Bochum. It was really fun to be in a small town, just Brian and me. We went on a long walk through a great park that was directly across the street from our hotel and found some great walking paths. Then we jumped on the motorcycle and headed back to Frankfurt. We took our time on the drive back, going through lots of small towns and enjoying the countryside. The clouds were really dramatic that day, so the views were awesome. We didn't get rained on either, which was really lucky!

We got back to Frankfurt just in time for dinner with the Hinrichsen's! Jens, Barbara, and Rebecca were in town because Rebecca moved to Frankfurt! We're very excited to have her close by. We met their family at a little restaurant that is close to our apartment and enjoyed a fun dinner with them before they drove back to Hamburg. Thanks for a lovely evening, Hinrichsen family! It was a great way to end a spectacular weekend!








2 comments:

  1. What a great experience. The photos are wonderful and is the video...such fun. Great to see Jens and Barbara and to hear that Rebecca moved to Frankfurt! Who's the cute guy with Rebecca?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video was great. He has an amazing voice!

    ReplyDelete